THOUGHT OF NO THOUGHT: Avery’s Essay
TWELVE STEPS: Through Thinking To Go Beyond Thinking--
Pulling out the chair
Beneath your mind
And watching you fall upon God-
What else is there
For Hafiz to do
That is any fun in this world!
--Hafiz: I Heard God Laughing
1. Thinking rightly corrects wrong thinking: Reason clears our doubts:
“Thought has imprisoned us: thought may release us.” PB Hidden Teaching Beyond Yoga
2. Using inspired texts: keep a quote in mind, take it into meditation.
We need to meditate more often on these reminding statements of the sages… 4.4.99
3. Thinking directed to Overself can evoke a response, even a glimpse,
The object of all this thinking is to awaken within him a mood of soul, a mental atmosphere and even an emotional condition of aspiration toward Truth… Quest of the Overself.
4. Words Point: Even to listen to the words has a value
“they may nevertheless evoke an intuitive recognition of its beauty;…” 28.2.59
5. Bring reverence, worship, heart:
It is not merely an intellectual exercise. …We must pray constantly to the Soul to reveal itself. 4.4.5
6. Join intuition to thinking
Join intuition to it: then you will have intelligence. … 22.1.37
7. Be still: Think deeply and put thinking aside:
Only he is able to think his own thought… who has trained himself to enter the Stillness, Perspectives 24.61
8. Using Mind to look into the Mind:
Using the mind to enquire into its own operation. The Inner Reality. Ch. 7
9. Self-inquiry: turn thinking back on itself
… atmavichara means thinking one's way into the real self. 7.1.9
10. But thought alone is not sufficient to get reality.
We get over-educated, have to rationalize everything and spend time writing books and reading books which are not altogether worthwhile.-- 23.5.56
11. Metaphysics of truth.
It makes use of abstract concepts which are concerned with the nature of the mind itself and which are furnished by seers who have developed a deep insight into such nature.… 20:4.65
12. Ultramystic Path of Thinking and not Thinking into Reality
The ultramystic exercises follow after and are the sequel to ripe reasoned thinking. 23.7.3